Month 5: First Aid and Essential Documents
This month’s steps are:
Step 1: First Aid for Go Bag Items
Read the attached document to determine what first aid and personal hygiene items you’ll need to collect for your Go Bag that you started in Month 3. In Month 6, we’ll finish the Go Bag.
Step 2: Essential Documents
It’s important to have essential documents available. This month we’ll make sure that in an emergency you will have hard copies or access to essential documents.
Month 5 video – coming soon
Tip of the month: During an emergency ATM machines may not be working. Having some cash on hand is helpful. Make sure bills you have small bills.
Community Organizing Tips:
- Consider buying some of the items in the first aid kit in bulk with other community members.
- Here is the Month 5 Student Emergency Preparedness handout.
Download the free University of Illinois Household and Personal Property Inventory Book at to help your family record possessions.
First Aid Videos:
- Treating capillary bleeding – superficial cuts and abrasions
- Controlling venous bleeding – cuts of a vein causing oozing
- Bleeding arterial bleeding – cut to an artery noted by pulsating brighter red blood
- Shock Control – how to treat someone who is in shock